Council Tenant

New Council Tenants

Moving into your new home

When you signed your Tenancy Agreement and received your induction pack from the council, you were informed of the start date of your tenancy, which is when you became the legal tenant. From this date you are responsible for the property and for payment of rent. On moving into your property, the Estate Manager will carry out a New Tenancy Visit. At this you will find out about Wimbledon Park Estate and the services we provide as part of a co-operative.

You are responsible for arranging the connection of electricity, gas and water to your home. You should give the companies as much notice as possible of your moving-in date. Most companies require at least three days notice to connect your supply.

Decoration allowance

Unfortunately we do not receive a decoration allowance for new tenants; however, the Council may provide redecoration if you meet certain criteria, i.e., have a disability or are elderly. Please contact the Estate Office or the Council for more information.

Your Rights as a Tenant

Your tenancy conditions give you the right to live in the property. We will not interfere with this right unless we have to take action because of reasons given in the Housing Acts 1985 or 1996 or any future law. We will take action if you break any of the tenancy conditions.

Using the Property

You must live in the property as your main or only home. You must not run a business or trade from your home without first obtaining our written permission. We will not refuse permission unless we feel that the business is likely to cause a nuisance to other people, or damage to the property. If we do give permission for you to run a business from your home, and it causes a nuisance, we will withdraw the permission.

Reason for Terminating a Tenancy

For introductory and non-secure tenants, we do not have to rely on any of the reasons given below to terminate your tenancy.

For secure tenants only there are a number of reasons why we might apply for a court order to end your tenancy and eviction may result from any of the following reasons:

  • If you do not keep up to date with your rent or you breach any of the condition of your tenancy.
  • If you or a member of your household or a visitor does anything which causes, or is likely to cause, a nuisance to anyone in the local area, or you allow your home to be used for immoral or illegal purposes.
  • If your partner, or a member of the family, has left home because of your violence or threats of violence against them and they are unlikely to return to live with you.
  • If you, or anyone living with you, damages any part of the property or the communal areas either deliberately or by neglect.
  • If you or any of your friends or relatives damages or vandalises our furniture.
  • If you deliberately gave us false information to get the tenancy or encourages someone else to do so.
  • If you received any financial gain for agreeing to a mutual exchange.
  • If your home is connected to the place where you work, such as a school caretaker, and your behaviour has been improper or unsuitable.
  • If you are staying in temporary accommodation while works are carried out to your previous home and you have already agreed to return to your previous home when the works are completed, but do not do so.

Situations Where The Council May Have to Move You Out Of Your Home

In the following cases, if we have to move you out of your home, we have to provide you with suitable alternative accommodation. This must meet the reasonable needs of you and your family. If you refuse an offer of suitable alternative accommodation we may have to apply to the court for an order of possession of your tenancy.

  • If your home is overcrowded. You must not transfer, hand over or sub-let the whole property to another person, or allow the property to become overcrowded by other people living or staying there.
  • If we have to move you out of your home so that we can get in to carry out repairs or other necessary works.
  • If your home is within the area of an approved redevelopment scheme.
  • If your home is linked to a job and we need to give it to another employee.
  • If the property has been specially designed or adapted for people with special needs and:
    (a) no-one in your household needs the type of accommodation and
    (b) we need it for a person with similar special needs.
  • If the tenancy passed to you when the previous tenant died and is too large for your needs.

Alterations and Improvements

You must not make any alteration , improvement or addition to the property or its fixtures, fittings or outbuildings without our written permission. This will not be withheld unreasonably. You must not alter the outside of the property in any way without our written permission. For example, you must not fix a security grille to your external doors or windows or put up a satellite dish, aerial or other telecommunications equipment to the exterior of the building. This rule also applies to garages, greenhouses, sheds, pigeon lofts, parking spaces, driveways and walls. You must not remove, alter, replace or plant any hedge, fence or tree at the property without first getting written permission.

Repairs and maintenance which are the Council’s responsibility-

We are responsible for repairs to the structure and exterior of your home and we have to keep the installations in the property for gas, electricity and water supplies, heating and hot water, in good repair and working order. We are also responsible for drains.

Repairs and maintenance that are the responsibility of the tenant-

You are responsible for keeping your home clean and in a good state of repair and decoration. You are also responsible for renewing or replacing the following items, in so far as they are not the council’s responsibility:

  • broken windows
  • tap washers
  • sink and bath plugs
  • chains and pulls to W.C. cisterns
  • blocked wastes to sinks, baths and lavatory basins
  • damaged locks, lost keys, door furniture, knockers, letter boxes and gate catches
  • sash fasteners, casement fasteners and window stays • all door and window keys
  • fireplace tiles
  • any other similar items and any damage due to negligence

Your responsibility for repairing broken windows extends to all internal glazing and any external glazing where the damage is your fault or the fault of another member of your household or a visitor. You are not permitted to effect repairs or replace any glazing on windows above the ground floor and the council will therefore carry out any necessary works to repair such damage and charge the reasonable costs to you. In other cases of damage to external glazing, we will carry out necessary repairs.